Thursday, September 27, 2012

National Siblings Day

Yesterday on Facebook, there was some odd occurrence of National Siblings Day tributes. Now, I don't know if you know this, but National Siblings Day is April 10th. September 26th is actually another holiday, National Pancake Day. However, this got me thinking. Why do you need a National Siblings Day to tell your brother or sister that you love them? You don't. This is a tough subject for me, because my brother passed away in 2006. My 20 year old brother was taken from me and my family. I can't tell him anymore that I love him and appreciate him. So, I guess it kind of bothers me when I know personally that some of the individuals that were posting these 'oh so touching' tributes, actually tell their brothers/sisters that they hate them. Now, maybe it's just me, but I never told my brother that I hated him. I never felt hate for him. Sure, we had fights. What siblings don't? But, I couldn't even imagine feeling that way towards him. I looked up to him so much, because he was the type of person that never met a stranger. He could always make someone laugh. I'm not glorifying him; he did some things that I don't agree with, but he straightened up. I guess I just wanted to say that, everyone out there, no matter how 'annoying' your sibling may seem, there may be a moment when you can't go back, when it's too late to say you're sorry. Luckily, I'm not in that boat. The night before that car hit my brother head on, I baked him a cake and told him I loved him. Could you say the same thing? Do me a favor. Don't wait until April the tenth or September the twenty-sixth or any other random date to tell your sibling how much they mean to you. Tell them every day. Hug them tight, and hold them close, because you can never know if that will be your last chance.  


In Loving Memory of Dustan Ross
8/12/85 - 5/26/06

No comments:

Post a Comment