Today, I was reminded of how difficult it is to take the long way. Whether it's taking the derivative of a function, walking around a crowd of crazed people screaming we're all doomed for Hell, or just finishing a job completely and to the best of my abilities. I've always been the one that wanted to half-do or half-heart something. It's not that I've never cared, it's just that I've been focused on getting everything done. Hasn't that been the goal for most? Finish this. Do this before tomorrow.
In my ladies' class at church, we started studying a book called The Resolution for Women by Patricia Shirer. She talks about how rushing through life is discontentment. How true is that? I'm not content with what the Good Lord has given me now, even though I have what I need, and mostly what I want, so I'm wishing my life away to get to a point in my life where I'll say, "That'll do." But, can that ever happen? You see, when you're looking forward to the end of the week, and it gets here, then you can't wait for the end of the month. Maybe you're super excited for next semester. Maybe you want to be done with college. Now what? You want a significant other, 2.5 kids, and a Labrador Retriever. When you get that, you're ready for your kids to be grown. You see what I'm saying? It's about time to put on the breaks and "enjoy the go," as said by the Charmin commercials. Okay, maybe I'm not going that far, but maybe I'll learn to love the long way around. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but they call it the scenic route because not it's the quickest path, but because it has the most beautiful views. So, here's to enjoying life, every single second of it, and taking the scenic route more often. Here's to my ladies' class that brought me to this wonderful book, and here's to Calculus for connecting that great book to my here and now. God bless.
"they call it the scenic route because not it's the quickest path, but because it has the most beautiful views. So, here's to enjoying life, every single second of it, and taking the scenic route more often."
ReplyDeleteMade me think! So very true! Quicker isn't always better...