Unfortunately, I have never been more disgusted, more disappointed, with the human race as I was today.
I went
on YouTube to see about the tornadoes that have affected the Great Plains. I
was not prepared for the devastation that I saw. It’s surreal to see so many
people, so many homes and businesses, so many trees, all gone. It looks like a
steamroller went over expansions of America’s Breadbasket. I’m kind of
overwhelmed with just how terrible conditions are, there. But, then, I think,
what are these people going through? Can you even imagine? No. You can’t. The
loss of everything around them. I have so much respect for the victims of these
storms, because I cannot even fathom the heartbreak and pain they’re dealing
with. It reminds me just how strong Americans are. Just how strong communities
can be.
But, then, I read the comments on the videos.
I was
expecting to find things like, “Our prayers are with you.” Or, “I’m sorry this
has happened.” Or, “You all are in our thoughts.” That’s not at all what I
found. Almost every comment was either something calling someone out for
believing in God, or it was a post of how God is punishing us for gay marriage,
or something about how the other partisanship is to blame.
Come on people. What
has become of America? We have our neighbors that are struggling and broken. And,
instead of trying to lift them up, people are arguing over which partisanship
is better. I’m completely dumbfounded at how people have let a “label” cloud
their judgment and sense of compassion.
Please, please realize that whether you are to the left or
to the right, if you’re gay or straight, or if you were born here or are considered
a Permanent Resident, we are all Americans. And, our neighbors are hurting. Don’t
think for a second that it’s okay to behave this way. It’s not.
- Christians, pray for these people. If you can do more, then do.
- Atheists and agnostics, think of these people. Help them, if you can.
- Other religions, do what you can to help.
We, as humans, owe it to each other to take care of each
other when we can. To reach out to those that need our help.
- Religion does not dictate whether you help someone.
- Sexual orientation does not dictate whether you help someone.
- Race or gender does not dictate whether you help someone.
Your individual character, who you are, dictates that.
All of those affected by these terrible storms, please know
that I am praying for you, with all that I am. The respect that I have for you
grows each and every day.
Stay strong. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment